Preparations of KDE 4.0 Snapshot 1

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Aug 11 09:08:57 BST 2006

On Friday 11 August 2006 00:43, Allen Winter wrote:
[...]
> Really, we need a coordinated marketing effort here, I think.

And we're (The MWG) are happy to work on that. We would need the following
information, however:

- How far are the API's of Phonon, Plasma, Solid?
- Where's the documentation for various parts (Phonon, Plasma, Solid, Dbus,
  CMake, ...)?
- Where's the docs "Getting started with KDE4 development"?
- What does it do well already?
- What exciting stuff is in there?
- IRC and other support channels dedicated to KDE4 development?

The overall tone of the announcement of this $whatever will be "Far from
usable, unstable, not what KDE4 will look like, BUT exciting release for
developers to play with the new technology". It's not only a good way to tell
developers to start porting their apps NOW, but it would be a good thing to
attract new people to contribute to the project. So we need everything that's
interesting for the developers covered in the announcement.

While we will be clear about the expectations from this snapshot, we should
still focus on the positive aspects, and I think there are quite a few.
--
sebas

    http://vizZzion.org     |     GPG Key ID: 9119 0EF9
I have not seen anyone assume that all the citizens of New York are guilty of
murder, violence, robbery, perjury, or writing proprietary software. -
Richard M. Stallman

--
sebas

Next the statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting the blame upon the nation
that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing
falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any
refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war
is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process
of grotesque self-deception. - Mark Twain