Preparations of KDE 4.0 Snapshot 1

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Thu Aug 10 16:24:16 BST 2006

On Thursday 10 August 2006 14:26, Matt Rogers wrote:

> *sigh* ok, whatever. thanks for completely twisting the meaning of the word
> work. I was only concerned about the perceptions and reactions to releasing
> a snapshot that AFAIK, doesn't come close to meeting the expectations of
> those people who are looking for such a thing. Of course, my knowledge may
> not adequately reflect reality.

We could name it KDE 3.69  instead of KDE 4  snapshot 1 to avoid that people
misinterpret it as "KDE 4 is released!". Would that address your concerns?

I'm sorry, I can't follow you other than that you say that we shouldn't
release until its ready. And with that I can not agree.

The way you get people on board is to give them something that is just barely
working enough to be interesting but broken enough to get them involved.
IMHO.

Also, there was this long bitching thread about how to provide stable API for
application developers - and yes, I do expect that most of our inspiration
for previous and current kdelibs development come from application
developers. Thats why we need them, and the sooner we can get them, the
better it is.

I've been long enough around to know how we fell into the KDE 2.0 trap. Lets
not do that again.

Dirk