Preparations of KDE 4.0 Snapshot 1

Jaison Lee lee.jaison at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 14:32:51 BST 2006

On 8/10/06, Dirk Mueller <mueller at kde.org> wrote:
> I'm not sure if you looked at bugs.kde.org, but not even the KDE 3.5 release
> series "work" - there are tons of bug reports arriving every day. I guess we
> should have never released KDE 3 then.

Dirk, this cannot be serious. I cannot believe you consider 3.5 to be
in the same state as 4.0 is now. I'm chalking this email up to lack of
caffeine and a bad night's sleep or something.

Thomas on the other hand made some very clear points. I've been saying
for a long time now that kdelibs is good enough to port against and
perhaps it's time to put our money where our mouths are. This could be
one of the things that gets all the developers that are sitting on the
sidelines to start actively working on things. I've been trying to
figure out how to do that for a while.

The only downside I still see is the potential for misconceptions
about what this snapshot represents. I fear articles on blogs and news
websites saying "KDE4 Released!" and people compiling apps in kdeutils
or kdegames against the snapshot and expecting them to be usable, when
they probably will not be. How many emails do we get from people right
now complaining that something in trunk won't compile or crashes, as
if this was news to someone? I think Thiago has his "It's just broken;
feel free to fix it." response macro'd up by now.  :) I fear a
snapshot now will increase this misinformation about the state of
things.

I dunno. I still can't decide if the snapshot is a good idea or a bad
one. I think I'll kick Matt out of his hole and hide in there for a
while, too.  :)