Application maintainerships

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Tue Aug 8 16:56:25 BST 2006

On Monday 07 August 2006 18:33, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Saturday 05 August 2006 08:26, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > On Friday 04 August 2006 15:39, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> > > Twice I have written up blogs looking for new maintainers for apps and
> > > both times within a very short amount of time I have gotten responses
> > > from people who are looking to get involved in KDE and want to help
> > > out. So if you know of an application in KDE that isn't being
> > > maintained blogging about it is a great way to get outside interest and
> > > involvement. There seems to be a lot of people who want to help out in
> > > KDE, but just aren't sure how.
> >
> > Out of my mind, I have following non-maintained code

> > - kio_man (especially add correct support for mdoc manpages)
> > - kio_info
>
> Where do these two ioslaves need work ?

For info: I do not know. But at least somebody should take a look that it
remains workable in KDE4.

A for man: that is quite another problem. Personally I would be for a re-write
(ROFF is line-oriented but the code is character-oriented), but that is
probably "for another day". The major problem remains mdoc man pages, probably
making man: rather useless on BSD.

On the other side, for man: the freebsd.org's online man pages seems to work
correctly, even with hyperlinks or so. It would be intersting to know how the
site works and if we could integrate that software into KDE.

> I had a look at their bug reports from time to time, and it didn't look too
> bad.

I had stopped to make bug reports once I saw how bad it is.

> > - kio_floppy
>
> Unmaintained, yes. I think it should be dropped for KDE 4 (I wrote it),
> since it's main use is for floppy disks, I haven't tried it with anything
> else. I guess the mounting/unmointing of removable device will be done with
> Solid in KDE4 ?

And how BSD is supposed to work then? Does BSD has a VFAT-driver in the
meantime? And what about the commercial Unices?

Also as far as I know, it is not limited to floppies, but to anything that
mtools can handle. However I do not know if USB-sticks are supported.

> Bye
> Alex

Have a nice day!