OT: Loosing memory Re: OOM-killer prevention for master kdeinit process

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau Friedrich.W.H at kossebau.de
Wed Aug 2 19:08:31 BST 2006

Am Mittwoch, 2. August 2006 15:59, schrieb Robert Knight:
> > PS: Just in case somebody wonders why I hate OOM handling on Linux so
> > much then the answer is that my 1G RAM work machine with no swap at all
> > being trashed to death is probably the top reason why I reboot it (not
> > that I reboot that often otherwise).
>
> What on earth is using up that 1GB?

I would like to know that, too. I have exactly the same problem ;)

Although I keep roughly the same (admittedly large) working set of running
programs around by the time more and more memory seems to get used. Closing
and reopening single heavy programs which e.g. might collect a lot of undo
information like KDevelop doesn't help.

But restarting the restored session helps. Every four, five days I have to do
this to get rid of too much swapping.

What could be done to find the leak? I guessed from the above it is X, perhaps
keeping more and more pixmaps around noone uses anymore, but
xrestop :
Pixmaps:  348724K total, Other:   20321K total, All:  369045K total
top:
 3106 root      15   0  672m 484m 1872 S  1.3 47.8  77:46.07 X
suggest X uses much, but not 2 GB.

Does anyone have a script prepared to track which processes steal the memory
over time? Or any other phenomenon which could be the culprit?

Regards
Friedrich