KDE4: Making xdg-utils future-proof

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Aug 1 23:50:51 BST 2006

On Tuesday 01 August 2006 23:02, Lubos Lunak wrote:

>  I have a different proposal: How about making sure that the latest version
> of xdg-utils available around the time of KDE4 release works with KDE4?
> Works without applying a crystal ball and seems much simpler.
>
>  Seriously. The xdg-utils README is pretty explicit about preferring the
> system version of xdg-utils, so the solution can be even something like
> KDE4 shipping the latest version of xdg-utils that indeed works with KDE4
> and making it available in $PATH. Apps using xdg-utils properly will work
> with KDE4 and the rest ... well, why bother?

I guess that there could be a conflict if a distribution installs the
xdg-utils version as required by the next LSB standard as the system version.
It can then not allow KDE4 to overwrite it (unless it is guaranteed that it is
fully compatible)

However the timeframe is IMHO too close for xdg-utils 1.0, my best estimation
is that it would be possible to fix the interface for those handfull of base
utils at akademy and propose a xdg-utils version released after that for LSB
inclusion

Cheers,
Kevin

--