kdialog: --caption vs --title

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Apr 24 22:44:49 BST 2006

Hi,

I have discovered a situation where a commandline argument is not correctly
used:

I was working on Project Portland's xdg-file-dialog script, which uses kdialog
on KDE.

kdialog --help says it understands an option called --title, however

kdialog --title "foo bar" --getopenfilename /tmp

just has the caption "KDialog"

The kdialog code uses the --title option it works for example
with --getexistingdirectory,
However it is used to set the dialog's caption property which is overwritten
by KApplication::setTopWidget later on, which uses KApplication::caption()

Since --title is a documented kdialog option, it should work IMHO.

--caption works and seems to behave better, e.g.

kdialog --caption "foo bar" --msgbox "commandline options should work!"

gets a caption like this: "Information - foo bar"

while

kdialog --title "foo bar" --msgbox "commandline options should work!"

gets a caption like this: "foo bar - KDialog"

Any ideas how to solve this correctly?

Cheers,
Kevin

--