kdiff3's docbook

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Mon Apr 24 18:08:53 BST 2006

On Monday 24 April 2006 18:16, José Nuno Coelho Sanarra Pires wrote:
> Em Segunda, 24 de Abril de 2006 15:40, escreveu:
> > On Sunday 23 April 2006 17:47, Erik Kjær Pedersen wrote:
> > > There is a string in kdiff3's docbook that produces a fuzzy every day
> > > in the translations. I think it is something about $Date being expanded
> > > when various scripts are run. Maybe somebody can telle me what the
> > > problem is or even better correct kdiff3's docbook. The troublesome
> > > piece is the following:
> > >
> > > Many version control systems support special keywords in the file.
> > > (e.g. \"$Date: 2006-04-23 10:37:50 -0400 (Sun, 23 Apr 2006) $\",
> > > \"$Header$\", \"$Author: scripty $\", \"$Log$\" etc.) During the
> > > check-in the version control
> > > system (VCS) changes these lines. For instance \"$Date: 2006-04-21
> > > 17:24:21 -0400 (Fri, 21 Apr 2006) $\" will turn into \"$Date:
> > > 2006-04-21 17:24:21 -0400 (Fri, 21 Apr 2006) $\". Since this line will
> > > be different in every version of the file, it would require manual
> > > interaction during the merge.
> >
> > I do not think that it is supported by the extration and merging
> > scripts/programs currently.
> >
> > So personally I think that KDiff3's docbook should not use it.
> >
> > > Erik
> >
> > Have a nice day!
>
> It's the keyword substitution performed by Subversion, just like CVS does.

By the way: point 18 of the KDE commit policy does still not allow it:
http://developer.kde.org/policies/commitpolicy.html#18

> When committing the original file (in DocBook) to the repository, the
> keyword substitution is enabled and, therefore, all sequences recognized by
> Subversion as keywords, are replaced.

Not exactly. Only keywords enabled in the svn:keywords property are replaced
by SVN.

(Please try to remove the svn:keywords property of the corresponding
translated files.)

> The answer here is to disable keyword substitution on the DocBook file.
> Does anyone know how to do it with SVN?

That is the default in SVN, as by default each file has not any the
svn:keywords property.

> It's funny: this particular fuzzy message is explaining the problem
> itself. :-)
>
> Best regards,

Have a nice day!