Proposal: New module "kdecore"

Volker Krause volker.krause at rwth-aachen.de
Wed Apr 19 17:10:23 BST 2006

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 17:12, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 April 2006 12:47, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > For the sake of the argument, let me propose a complete radical approach:
> >
> > a) Move kdebase-corepps to kdelibs
> > b) Move the non-central KDE libraries to kdeapplibs or whatever other
> > name. This would include the PIM libraries Cornelius proposed in the
> > start of this thread, as well as convenience libraries like kdnssd,
> > kwallet, kspell2/sonnet, kutils, knewstuff.
>
> How do you define "non-central"? This doesn't appear to be a very clear
> criteria to me. It will also change over time and be quite subjective.
>
> Moving apps to kdelibs also doesn't solve the problem of having to compile
> code you don't need to be able to compile your own app.

Well, if you only want to compile the stuff you need for your app and nothing
else, we actually need to put everything into one module (or add buildsystem
files to the KDE/ level) and let cmake figure out the dependencies (which is
a very nice feature btw :) ).
Since cmake is able to handle kdepim's "interessting" internal dependencies it
should be able to handle the whole KDE/ as well ;-)

It's a bit offtopic, but would this actually be possible? I.e. adding
build-system files to the KDE/ level without enforcing the checkout of all
modules and while retaining the current way of building?

regards
Volker