Proposal: New module "kdecore"

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Wed Apr 19 14:36:09 BST 2006

Alle 14:27, mercoledì, 19. aprile 2006, Thiago Macieira ha scritto:
> Like downloading new skins for kcalc? New bugs report templates for
> KBugBuster?

I think this discussion should be in held line with DAPI, RuDI and whatever
other mechanism might be intended to be used in the future for such
"application add-on dialogs". The kprinter stuff comes to mind too, I rarely
use it on my development machine, yet it is clear that it does belong into
many applications. Same for kwallet.

Having a less tight binding to those dialogs gives the possibility to
reimplement them in non-C++ in the future, and will make it easier to
integrate them into non-KDE applications since there must be a well-defined
call interface.
Maybe one should even include the kfile dialog in this collection, too.

About the size of kdelibs:
The way things progress right now is that a lot of app-libraries are useful
enough to warrant inclusion in kdelibs (e.g. KNewStuff should ideally be able
to use the OpenPGP GUI handlers/wizards in kdepim), but this seems to lead
into a Java-like monster library module. So a redefinition of the module
might indeed make sense, but it's not as easy as just moving some parts in
and some parts out. The tight/loose coupling is a key issue.

Josef