Proposal: New module "kdepimlibs"

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Apr 18 23:06:41 BST 2006

On Tuesday 18 April 2006 23:49, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> The kdepim module has grown to an impressive size. After kdebase and
> kdelibs it's the third biggest KDE module and it's becoming more and more
> complex to work on kdepim because of the sophisticated intra-module
> dependencies.
>
> Additionally there is some code in kdelibs which is closely associated to
> kdepim in kdelibs (kresources and kabc). That this code is in kdelibs, but
> other similar code like libkcal is not can only be understood by historical
> reasons.
>
> To make things worse there is some code from other modules depending on
> kdepim (e.g. the kbugbuster kresource from the kdesdk module) violating the
> rule that modules shouldn't have other dependencies than kdelibs.
>
> To resolve these problems I propose to create a new module "kdepimlibs" in
> SVN which contains the major libraries from kdepim and the kdepim-related
> libraries from kdelibs.

I not only think that this is a good idea, I'd like to point out that this is
a general problem with our module libs.

Another example where the impossibility or difficulty of intramodule
dependencies are negatively affecting development is kde-edu.

By its nature this module has a wide range of application types, from
educational games to tools for teachers.
It has come up more than once that it would be of great help to be able to use
kdegames libraries or be able to embed a KOffice part.

The KDE module structure encourages packagers to include the libraries in the
same package as the binaries, which makes any of the above use cases a no-go
for kde-edu (since depending on the whole kdegames with all its game data is
out of question)

So it would be great if this could be solved on a wider scale, making it
possible to have applications use more than just the core libraries. As it is
now applications that are part of the KDE main modules have less
possibilities than external applications or have to result to code
duplication.

Cheers,
Kevin

--