localisation of messages from xml files

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Mon Apr 17 07:44:07 BST 2006

On Monday 17 April 2006 06:22, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> Hello
>
> KDEPrint uses a few xml files for defining special purpose filters
> that can be used in preprint processing of print jobs. These xmls
> contain display-able messages. (e.g.
> http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/3.5/kdelibs/kdeprint/filters/psnup
>.xml)
>
> Is there a mechanism that allows for some kind of l10n of such
> messages?

Yes. See
http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/3.5/kdewebdev/quanta/Makefile.am,
messages target. It extracts messages from several types of XML files
(partly with perl - I did not write that part, but copied from
somewhere else .;-). The idea is to get the translatable strings from
the XML (they should be marked somehow or always be the same attribute
or inside the same tags) and create fake .cpp code from the strings.

Andras