stubbing KStartupInfo -- win32 feedback? (was Re: A little review of kdecore & kdeui)

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Tue Apr 11 22:16:37 BST 2006

Benjamin Reed schrieb:
> On 4/10/06, Lubos Lunak <l.lunak at suse.cz> wrote:
>

>>  Non-X11 platforms should implement their own KStartupInfo, with most
>> functions being no-op I'd presume. Is there any problem with that?
>>

> I started doing this, but realized I'd be re-implementing half of the
> "convenience" bits that are already in kstartupinfo.cpp, so I ended up
> just #ifdef'ing it instead.  I'd like some feedback from you and maybe
> anyone involved in the win32 port before I commit it, though.
>
> It basically chops out anywhere there are actual KXmessages passed
> around, but leaves things otherwise alone, including the
> state-tracking.
>
> Could KXmessages perhaps be replaced by something qt-based
> (signals/slots or some other IPC mechanism)?  Or is it enough to just
> have the apps think they're able to track this basic state and be done
> with it for now?

One topic to be discussed is how to implement the different platforms. I
see two ways

a. creating a virtual Base class and derive platform related classes eg.
KStartupInfoWin, KStartupInfoMac and so one or  by
b. using the same class KStartupInfo placed into platform related files
like qt does eg. kstartupinfo_win.cpp, kstartupinfo_mac.cpp  and so on.

Choice b seems to be the easier way, but may result in more duplicated
code, if ther are many common parts.

Ralf