Running KDE4 apps from KDE3

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Tue Apr 11 18:36:06 BST 2006

Hi,

 After I successfully compiled kdelibs/kdebase/kdevelop from KDE4, I
want to try the apps and port my apps to KDE4. The problem is that even
if I set up all my environment variables to be different from those
used in KDE3, as soon as I start a KDE4 app, it launches kdeinit from
KDE4 and messes up the system as it tries to
use /var/tmp/kdecache-andris instead of the KDEVARTMP variable:

kio (KSycoca): Trying to open ksycoca
from /var/tmp/kdecache-andris/ksycoca
kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Found version 93, expecting version 100 or
higher.
kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Found version 93, expecting version 100 or
higher.

printenv | grep KDE
KDE_MULTIHEAD=false
KDEHOME=/home/andris/.kde4