kspell2 reorganization

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Apr 11 10:17:15 BST 2006

On Monday 10 April 2006 21:00, Zack Rusin wrote:
> And running KDE 4 apps requires using a different account right now
No it doesn't, just use something like
branches/work/kde4/setup-env

> which is not a big problem when you're testing sessions but it's uncomfortable for small
> apps/tests.
Why? Even with a different account you can just su to that account, from a kde3 konsole,
and then launch the app you want to test...

> Then I'd like to have a "binding" layer that actually does the GUI stuff.
OK this matches my planned kdecore/kdeui split, but this means the kdeui part
of it still needs to be done.

> > This also raises the question on how plugins are found by
> > the loader, I guess that part should be ported to at least
> > KStandardDirs (if not ktrader)?
>
> They're all Qt plugins. In the same way that styles, or image formats
> are. Off the top of my mind I'm not sure if there's anything I'm
> missing from kstandarddirs/ktrader combo that would mandate a change to
> that.

So they are installed into Qt's install dir? That doesn't work when qt is owned by root.
But I think there's also a solution with an env var - we still have to set that up in KDE though.
The reason to use KStandardDirs is to have the plugins found in the $KDEDIRS locations.
But if we can somehow set the qt env var based on kdedirs then all will be well;
hmm, we can't do it in startkde (for the case of running a single kde app),
but maybe KStandardDirs could do it itself - assuming that Qt doesn't evaluate
it in the QApp ctor...

> So, yeah, that's the run down as to how it all looks. Now if we're to
> use Sonnet, I'm not sure whether it makes seperating just the spelling
> lib from the rest of it. IMHO text segmentation, thesaurus and
> dictionary should at least go with it.

That sounds fine to me. I'll be waiting for your kdecore/sonnet and kdeui/sonnet then :)