Desktop services (was Re: A little review of kdecore & kdeui)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Apr 11 04:43:23 BST 2006

On Sunday 09 April 2006 11:45, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> alternative is to say, "here's a nice API for you to use, but we're not
> using it in our own product, sorry."

does a doctor take every drug he prescribes to his patients? no, because he
doesn't suffer from their maladies.

we -are- using that nice API that we are exposing via DAPI, just minus one
level of indirection. DAPI is a solution for those who don't have access to a
full desktop API (usually by choice) but need access to what those things
provide.

i just don't see what it gains us of worth, but i do see the complexity and
additional layers of indirection it brings. i'd also note that from day 1 it
was noted that DAPI should not replace standardization of process; IOW just
because we have DAPI it doesn't means we get rid of a standard .desktop
format (as one example).

--
Aaron J. Seigo