A little review of kdecore & kdeui

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Apr 10 19:47:02 BST 2006

On Monday 10 April 2006 13:06, David Faure wrote:
> On Saturday 08 April 2006 01:23, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > >Anyway, in order to minimize the number of libs over all, I think we
> > > should just put those (non-gui) tools in kdecore/tools and link them
> > > into libkdecore.so. I would also move KArchive and derived classes, and
> > > gzip/bzip2 filters there btw. Ah about those, you said "moving them to
> > > KIO" in your proposal? Haha. I have just moved them up from kio into
> > > kdecore, since kcharsets needs them. (Well maybe that makes kcharset
> > > part of kdecore/framework again).
> >
> > Yes, I had moved KCharsets out. I had also seen that you moved that stuff
> > out of KIO.
> >
> > But I didn't and still don't understand why. What does KCharsets do that
> > requires KFilterDev? I see the header being included, but not used
> > anywhere.
>
> kcharsets.cpp:        KFilterDev gzip(dir + "/" + charMapFileName);
> but the code is currently commented out for some reason (lack of maintainer
> after an incomplete port to qt4?).
> Anyway the idea was: to be able to read gzipped files there.
>
> And anyway, a possible idea is to leave kio to what it was about in the
> first place (network transparency) and move most other things in kio to
> kdecore and kdeui. Or moving all of it into kdecore/kdeui in order to
> reduce the number of libs that kde apps link to (which kde app doesn't have
> a file dialog or network transparency? Almost none, so the separation
> doesn't make sense, especially when it comes with a runtime performance
> price).

Not too long ago konsole didn't link to kio.
Then bookmarks were added (do we really need bookmarks in konsole ?), which
meant linking to kio.
This increased the startup time significantly. I don't have the number here,
but it was really a lot, something like 2.8 instead of 1.9 seconds (on a not
too fast machine).
I'd vote for keeping kio separate, which doesn't mean that all things which
are now in kio have to stay in kio.
E.g. I always expected the file dialog in kdeui, and I'm not really sure why
bookmarks are in kio.

Just my two cent.

Bye
Alex