kspell2 reorganization

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Apr 10 18:52:18 BST 2006

On Monday 10 April 2006 18:09, Zack Rusin wrote:
> On Monday 10 April 2006 14:00, you wrote:
> > Any objections? I'll proceed with the move otherwise (tomorrow I
> > guess).
>
> I have a more of a observation than an objection here.
> There has been a number of problems with KSpell2 as it is. Two main ones
> is that
> a) it's a little hard to understand (e.g. does the Dictionary::check()
> method return true or false if the word is misspelled?)
> b) it tries to do too much
>
> Oh, and just to be clear it's not that I don't want to maintain, it's
> just that I don't agree with some of the commits and simply don't like
> to play the "revert-commit" ping-pong game so I kinda left it for
> others.
>
> I did create Sonnet
> https://user@svn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/work/kde4/playground/libs/sonnet

Hmm, so to avoid actually discussing changes to your code, you just dropped
it and created something else entirely? This seems a little messy to me :(

I agree that Loader sounds better than Broker, etc. - but this could all be changed
into kspell2's code too. Or I'd be fine with you importing sonnet to kdelibs and
porting kdelibs to it. Would you do that? You mention "other people who have been
committing to kspell2", but I don't even remember people doing that (except me
for a few bugfixes that I ran past you), so right now I'm seeing that we're using
unmaintained code yet again, and that doesn't sound good.

So if you want to "upgrade" kspell2 to QSpell that'd be great...
Just a few questions:
- do you want to keep it non-kde? kspell2 used KLineEdit and other kde things in its config dialog.
(does qspell provide a config dialog?). This also raises the question on how plugins are found
by the loader, I guess that part should be ported to at least KStandardDirs (if not ktrader)?
- does it come with aspell+hspell+ispell plugins?

PS: I discovered that I can't move kspell2 right now anyway; the plugin loading is based
on KTrader which is in KIO... This is yet another argument for moving KService/KMimeType/etc.
to kdecore (which is on my radar already).