A little review of kdecore & kdeui

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Apr 10 15:02:07 BST 2006

On Monday 10 April 2006 14:22, Benjamin Reed wrote:
> On 4/9/06, Lubos Lunak <l.lunak at suse.cz> wrote:
> > > KStartupInfo -> private class!
> >
> >  This is needed even by apps, in rare cases.
> >
> > > KXMessages -> D-Bus
> >
> >  No, it's internal to KStartupInfo.
>
> then what is the alternative?  kstartupinfo doesn't work with anything
> but Qt/X11 right now, and in the mac (and presumably windows) port
> there is a lot of broken and hackishly #ifdef'd stuff everywhere that
> kstartupinfo is used.

 There is no alternative. The app startup notification spec says that messages
are sent in a specific way and KXMessages sends and receives messages that
way.

> It doesn't seem like there's any reason for kstartupinfo to be tied to
> X11, other than it's current specific implementation.  Why not make it
> work everywhere kdelibs is supposed to be supported?

 Because we can't implement it in window managers on other platforms than X11?
I have no idea about Mac, on Windows there is some focus stealing prevention
but I don't know how it works and if applications can affect that in any way.
On the other hand on X11 certain cooperation from applications is required in
some cases, so this has to be in kdelibs.

 Non-X11 platforms should implement their own KStartupInfo, with most
functions being no-op I'd presume. Is there any problem with that?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org