A little review of kdecore & kdeui

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Mon Apr 10 14:26:43 BST 2006

On Monday 10 April 2006 13:06, David Faure wrote:
> On Saturday 08 April 2006 01:23, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > >Anyway, in order to minimize the number of libs over all, I think we
> > > should just put those (non-gui) tools in kdecore/tools and link them
> > > into libkdecore.so. I would also move KArchive and derived classes, and
> > > gzip/bzip2 filters there btw. Ah about those, you said "moving them to
> > > KIO" in your proposal? Haha. I have just moved them up from kio into
> > > kdecore, since kcharsets needs them. (Well maybe that makes kcharset
> > > part of kdecore/framework again).
> >
> > Yes, I had moved KCharsets out. I had also seen that you moved that stuff
> > out of KIO.
> >
> > But I didn't and still don't understand why. What does KCharsets do that
> > requires KFilterDev? I see the header being included, but not used
> > anywhere.
>
> kcharsets.cpp:        KFilterDev gzip(dir + "/" + charMapFileName);
> but the code is currently commented out for some reason (lack of maintainer
> after an incomplete port to qt4?).
> Anyway the idea was: to be able to read gzipped files there.

Well, as this feature needs QTextCodec plugins, I do not know if it will ever
be ported to Qt4.

So another way to have strict ASCII writing (noether UTF-8 or iSO-8859-1) and
EBCDIC read/write (in many variants) will be needed... somewhen.

The feature was not announced for KDE 3.5, so it does not need to be ported to
KDE4. (Had I known that the function of QTextCodec was remove d in Qt4, I
would not even have implemented it for KDE 3.5. The problem is that Qt4 does
not document features taht were completely removed.)

(...)

Have a nice day!