A little review of kdecore & kdeui

Simon Hausmann hausmann at kde.org
Sat Apr 8 09:27:23 BST 2006

On Saturday 08 April 2006 10:04, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> >> What is the problem with that? Why can't we support that if we always
> >> compile static libraries PIC? (just as we did in KDE3 with libtool)
> >>
> >> Or is it the problem of --whole-archive?
> >
> >It is unportable and not longer required with cmake.
>
> To make it worse, static libraries don't carry dependency information.
> Libtool stored that in the .la file.

IMHO that's not a showstopper. Libtool uses the .la files as you said, qmake
uses .prl files. It's not an unsolvable problem :)

It may just require a bit of grouping to avoid dragging in for example QtSql
when linking against a static library just to pull in a little helper class
that only requires QtCore. So classes would have to be grouped a little bit
by their underlying dependencies. But I'm not sure if we would run into this
problem a lot anyway.

Simon