A little review of kdecore & kdeui

Fredrik Höglund fredrik at kde.org
Thu Apr 6 17:44:33 BST 2006

On Thursday 06 April 2006 01:21, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> David Faure wrote:

<snip>

> >> KNotificationRestrictions (!)
> >
> >Seems to have an X11 dependency -> kdeui?
>
> If it's X11-specific, it shouldn't be a public class.

This class is not X11 specific per se, but it does need a separate
implementation for each platform KDE supports.

It should not be a private class since it's meant to be used by
presentation apps (KOffice), media players (kdemultimedia) etc.

> >> KSelectionOwner, Watcher (move to klipper?)
> >
> >Doubt it. Ask Seli, but I see:
> >kmenubar.cpp:      d->selection = new KSelectionWatcher(
> > KMenuBarPrivate::makeSelectionAtom(),
>
> Is that for the Paste button? I.e., enable the button only if there is
> something in the clipboard? If so, this is a private class.

You're confusing these classes for being used specifically to deal
with the clipboard :)

These are actually (as indicated by the documentation) used for
managing ownership of X11 manager selections (see the ICCCM for
a full discussion), and are used by KWin among other applications.

Without having looked at the code, I suspect that their use in
KMenuBar has something to do with Mac-OS style menubars.

These classes are X specific, but I don't think they should be private
classes, because they are actually extremely useful whenever you
have to deal with these types of selections.

Perhaps a separate X11 convenience library for classes like these
would make sense.

Regards,
Fredrik