A little review of kdecore & kdeui

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Apr 5 20:09:03 BST 2006

Benjamin Meyer and I got together this last weekend and went over all the
classes in libkdecore and libkdeui (trunk) and tried to classify each one
into one of the following categories:

- stays in the library
- move to another library (kdecore -> kdeui, for instance)
- deprecate and move to kde3support, if we have one
- deprecate and rollback functionality into Qt
- separate it out of the core libraries, into a Tools library
- remove completely

We were rather aggressive when classifying, so I'm expecting some
controversy :-P

A bit of explanation is necessary for the "tools library" concept: we'd
like to get some of the classes out of the intricacy that is kdecore,
kdeui and create a module containing classes that can be reused by
applications freely. Right now, we have the policy that "if any 2
applications from different modules require the same class, move it to
kdelibs": we'd like to see it changed to a higher threshold to enter the
main libraries, but create a repository of "nice things" so that one
doesn't have to reimplement for each app.

However, this poses the problem of how exactly to provide those: should
they be provided in source code form? Or in a static library? If it's a
static library, keep in mind that they don't contain dependency
information, so what other libraries can they depend upon? Qt? kdecore?
kdeui? kio?

Finally, the "rollback functionality into Qt" is a tentative proposal:
they haven't been written yet. However, given the reaction the other
developers had when the list was on the white board here in the office,
it's quite likely...

  thiago.macieira (AT) trolltech.com     Trolltech AS
    GPG: 0x6EF45358                   |  Sandakerveien 116,
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C          |  NO-0402
    966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358          |  Oslo, Norway