KDE 4 Core Libraries major features

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Sat Apr 1 14:07:17 BST 2006

On Friday 31 March 2006 12:15, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> >How are "Thiago's KDE Core Libraries" different from the rest of
> > kdelibs? Do you consider the features of the rest of the kdelibs as not
> > release-critical? How would we implement them then, in KDE 5?
>
> I consider the core libraries what every program needs, which is when we
> can start working on the programs themselves, not on the libraries. Right
> now, I imagine most app authors are having a hard time keeping up with
> kdelibs alone, not to mention deciding if the bug they've found is
> because of kdelibs breakage or their own.

With kdelibs4_snapshot it's actually not too hard to do application
development (at least that's my impression). I don't think we should wait
with application development until October.

Developing libraries and applications in parallel is good for the libraries
because they get people using the new API and good for the applications
because they don't get delayed another six months.

> Of course the kdepim programs require Akonadi and of course it'll have to
> be there for KDE 4.0, but does it have to be there for the Technical
> Preview? You tell me, really. If you say "yes", then it'll be in the TP.

I would say we need it in the Technical Preview. Any other opinions from KDE
PIM people?

> >I wouldn't have a problem with creating a new module kdepimlibs and put
> >Akonadi and other PIM-related libraries there. But we have to come up
> > with a concrete plan how we want to release this (and the rest of KDE
> > 4) as soon as possible.
>
> Agreed. Do you want to get the discussion started? :-)

Ok, I will do this in a separate mail.

> And as Matt put it, we need to decide on whether KDE libraries 4.1 will be
> Binary Compatible with 4.0.

That's another discussion we have to start as soon as possible ;-)