D pointers

Koos Vriezen koos.vriezen at xs4all.nl
Fri Sep 30 18:06:56 BST 2005

On Friday 30 September 2005 17:46, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> think of, says there are about 350 inlines in kdecore. And actually the
> dynamic linker is not that bad these days, from LD_DEBUG=statistics about
> 0,13s (2GHz machine) is spent on that for KWrite. So with 500MHz machine
> turning all those inlines into non-inlines will increase the cost from 0,6s
> to ... uhm ... some maths, guesses and being pessimistic ... 0,8s . Big

That sounds a lot, no? On my three year old 2.4GHz P4 almost all KDE
apps start within the second now.
I agree with the other mails that often speed is not the issue, given
that's not in the fast path like user generated events. But they still
must react within the .1 second or so. However application startup is a
fast path and everything we can win (eg. like more than 1% gain), we
should take IMO.

> deal.  And this is the guy often working on optimizations saying this.

That is not a very convincing argument :-)

Koos