Proposal: New playground/extragear module: emulation or kdeemulation

Michaël Larouche kuramadoushi.shock at globetrotter.net
Tue Sep 27 00:32:44 BST 2005

Hi, my name is Michaël Larouche, I'm mainly a Kopete developer but for some
time I started a new project related mostly to game emulation.

My first idea with this project was to create a module(like kdenetwork) where
developers could create applications, plugins, etc.. all related to integrate
Emulation into KDE desktop.
My code name for this was kemul.

For now, I have kfile_plugins(NES, SNES, GBA rom files) and a universal
collection/frontend manager(Kamefu) being work, and now I am ready to import
into KDE SVN.
That's why I'm proposing a new playground module (that would be a extragear
module in the end) where all emulation related projects could be developped.
Projects like kmamelon(MAME frontend), EWOK(QEMU frontend), clee's gstreamer
spc plugin could be moved here while adding my kfile_plugins and kamefu.
The name of the module could be simple as "emulation" or "kdeemulation"

About Kamefu:
Kamefu means KDE All Machine Emulator Frontend for UNIX. It's a pun from
another similar I've done in SDL (search Gamefu on Sourceforge).
The main idea behind Kamefu is to manage a collections of ROMS from various
systems. Also to serve as a frontend to differents systems which use
different emulators. Think amaroK but for your ROM collection :)

Which means that Kamefu will be able to:
-Build a collection manager based on ROM kfile_plugins you have installed on
your system.
-Display the collection mostly like amaroK does, allow to filter by various
criteria like "Editor", "Year", "System" and "Genre".
-Configure system and his emulators directory into Kamefu.
-Handle list of your favorites (so called playlist in a audio/video
application)
-A little application like "kfmclient" that take a ROM path in input and
launch the required emulator for the system.

The last state of my application and plugins can be downloaded here:
http://kemul.sourceforge.net/files/kemul_20050925.tar.bz2

--
Michaël Larouche (Shock The Dark Mage)
KDE developer working on Kopete, KEmul/Kamefu...on dial-up :P
MSN/Email: michael.larouche at kdemail.net
IRC: irc.freenode.org/DarkShock on #kopete, #kde-devel, #kde4-devel, #plasma,
#kemul
Jabber: darkshock at myjabber.net, darkshock at linux-quebec.org,
darkshock at gmail.com
AIM: darkshock19