KDE/kdeaccessibility/kttsd

Gary Cramblitt garycramblitt at comcast.net
Wed Sep 21 13:12:02 BST 2005

On Tuesday 20 September 2005 10:22 am, Laurent Montel wrote:
> SVN commit 462267 by mlaurent:
>
> Byebye Q3CString
>

>  M  +12 -12    compat/interfaces/kspeech/kspeech.h
>  M  +12 -12    compat/interfaces/kspeech/kspeechsink.h
>  M  +2 -2      kttsd/kttsd.h
>  M  +31 -31    kttsjobmgr/kttsjobmgr.cpp
>  M  +12 -12    kttsjobmgr/kttsjobmgr.h
>  M  +3 -3      kttsmgr/kttsmgr.cpp
>  M  +1 -1      kttsmgr/kttsmgr.h

I'm concerned about this.  Most of these changes are for "appId" arguments for
the KSpeech interface, which are based on DCOPClient::appId(), which
according to latest websvn returns type DCOPCString.  However, when I changed
all the Q3CStrings to DCOPCStrings, it didn't work, I believe because of this
code in kdelibs/dcop/kdatastream.h:

inline const char* dcopTypeName( const DCOPCStringList& ) { return
"QCStringList"; }
inline const char* dcopTypeName( const DCOPCString&     ) { return
"QCString";     }

Notice "QCString"; not "Q3CString" or "QByteArray".  I assume this was done so
as not to break too much existing code and will eventually be changed.  See
this thread for more info:

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=112329587528935&w=2

Changing all the appId arguments to type QByteArray compiles and works, so I'm
fine with that, if that is the decision.

So, in general, has there been a decision to change all dcop arguments that
used to be QCString to QByteArray, even if they are dcop appIds?

BTW, the dcop HOWTO still talks about QCStrings.

--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)
KDE Text-to-Speech Maintainer