Qt Crypto Architecture for KDE4?

Justin Karneges justin-psi2 at affinix.com
Wed Sep 21 00:28:26 BST 2005

On Tuesday 20 September 2005 02:57 pm, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Monday 12 September 2005 09:51, Brad Hards wrote:
> > However there is a reasonable amount of other crypto-related code.
> > The crypto stuff in KDEPIM?
>
> I don't think it makes any sense to try to replace the crypto
> infrastructure (OpenPGP and S/MIME) in KMail by some Qt Crypto
> Architecture approach. It took two commercial projects to get it right.

In defense of QCA, the bulk of the GnuPG-related code was a migration from the
Psi XMPP/Jabber client, which has worked successfully with GnuPG for over two
years now.  Granted, S/MIME is a new facility for Psi/QCA, but I think it is
up to the tasks needed by everyday email and IM.  Aegypten took more effort
because it has a larger scope.

In any case, you're right, and I would not suggest replacing KMail's crypto
infrastructure with QCA if you already have a good solution.

> You wrote that there's a provider using gnupg. Does it use gpgme or the
> gpg-command? If it uses the latter then you better dump it immediately.
> If you want to interface with gpg then using gpgme is a must (say the
> GnuPG developers).

It uses the gpg-command, but this has always been acceptable practice.  At the
time of Psi development, gpgme was not designed for Windows, nor compatible
with the Qt Commercial license.  I don't know if this has changed.  Of
course, KDE doesn't really have these concerns.

-Justin