[KDE 3.5] Patch against broken icons

Stephan Binner binner at kde.org
Tue Sep 20 08:51:07 BST 2005

Hello,

often applications define names of icons which do not exist. In many locations
(menus, buttons, configure shortcuts/toolbars dialogs) then the "paper" icon
appears instead of no icon at all which makes the applications look broken.

This patch tries to fix this. It doesn't interfere with delayed icon loading
(see KGuiItem::iconSet() comment). Unfortunately applications started to use
and now rely on KIconLoader::loadIconSet(name,group,size,bool canReturnNull)
for canReturnNull being true to check for existence immediately.

My proposal is to add another flag to loadIconSet() (for KDE 3.5 a new method
instead) to tell the icon loader that giving a null icon set is OK but that we
don't require an immediate lookup/loading because we are not going to check.

The patch then changes KGuiItem::iconSet() to use the new flag (fixes menus,
buttons and "Configure Shortcuts...". It also touches kedittoolbar.cpp to
don't add "paper" icon to the items in the "Configure Toolbars..." dialog.

Please test this patch and comment. I really want to see this in KDE 3.5.

Bye,
   Steve