KStaticDeleter Kicker Crash

Michael Pyne pynm0001 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 17 02:06:59 BST 2005

On Friday 16 September 2005 21:00, Henrique Pinto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Kicker from the KDE 3.5 branch is reproducibly crashing for me on logout
> when the menubar-on-top is enabled. Attached is a backtrace. I've been
> trying for some days to create a patch, but from what I could understand
> about the issue up to now, it seems that a KStaticDeleter managed object
> depends on another KStaticDeleter managed object in its destructor, and as
> their order of destruction is not guaranteed, the crash happens. I'm not
> really sure what is the best way to solve this. Could somebody help me?

Speaking from a Computer Science point of view, the "best" way I can think of
would be to create a throwaway class that, when destructed, will destruct the
two static objects in the correct order, and then use only one KStaticDeleter
on an instance of your throwaway class.

It hurts to ask this, but is it required that these be deleted?  If they live
for the lifetime of kicker it may be easier just to have the kernel reclaim
the memory.  It's going to do so anyways when kicker exits. ;)

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne