[RFC] Future of "messages" targets

Frerich Raabe raabe at kde.org
Wed Sep 14 08:59:45 BST 2005

On Wednesday 14 September 2005 01:49, David Johnson wrote:
> A good rule of thumb is "if you don't need all the bells and whistles of
> bash, use sh instead." Since bash is POSIX compatible, you don't even
> need to abandon it, just change your shebang to #!/bin/sh and
> occasionally check your scripts with sh, ash, or ksh.

Correct me if I'm wrong but on many Leenuchs systems /bin/sh *is* bash - at
least that's the impression I got while fixing up a bazillion shellscripts,
removing Bashisms or making them say '#!/usr/bin/env bash', so that they work
on FreeBSD as well. Whatever /bin/sh is on Linux, it's often not the same as
plain vanilla 'sh'.

- Frerich