[RFC] Future of "messages" targets

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Tue Sep 13 10:36:51 BST 2005

Am Dienstag, 13. September 2005 11:25 schrieb Nicolas Goutte:

> The biggest question is how to convert the dependency to rc.cpp, which is the
> same as calling explicitly:
> $(EXTRACTRC) *.rc *.ui *.kcfg
>
> I see two way for converting this and I am not sure about the best one:
> - add the command explicitly in each makemessage.sh that needs it.
> - let the code calling those scripts do the job when necessary.

I think we should provide shell functions that can be used from apps shell scripts.
So the calling code doesn't call the bash script but sources it with the variables
and the functions set. So you wouldn't do

"./k3b/messages.sh" but "admin/create-messages.sh k3b" - this way you avoid
too much of code duplication and still have a) the developer aware of what is going
on as he has to add a default_extractrc call in his shell script and b) have a way to
do a check if the default_extractrc is in the shell script if there are *.rc files around
(as we do now).

I don't really fancy doing this mass conversion in KDE3, but I think we should have
our scripts check if there is a messages.sh and if there is it will trigger the new way
and if there is none, it will trigger the old way - and for KDE4 we drop support for
the old way soonish. I'd even volunteer to do the mass conversion in trunk (I have
some Makefile parsers at hand :)

Greetings, Stephan