kabcclient in kdereview

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Mon Sep 12 01:39:14 BST 2005

On Sunday 11 September 2005 11:43, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> sorry for the cross posting but I couldn't find a description about whom to
> notify about new applications in kdereview.
> The list archives indicate that one posts to core-devel and CCs the target
> module, in my case extragear/pim
>
> I also CC'ed the kde-pim list as those are the folks with most knowledge in
> the used APIs in case I misused them :)
>

> kabcclient is a commandline client/access tool for KABC, similar to kfmclient
> being a tool for working with KIO and konsolecalendar being a tool to work
> with the calendar resources.
>
> I used some code from kaddressbook, of course including copyright notes, but
> Tobias might want to check that if its ok.
>
> I consider the application stable and complete in the sense that I don't have
> any extensions planned other than improving the documentation.
>
> But of course I am open for suggestions :)
>
> Quickest overview of the program's capabilities can be gained by reading
> doc/examples.html

Kevin,

Looks cool and IMO would be a very nice addition to kdepim 4.0 module.

Here's a couple of quick thoughts:
 1. you need to format the source code according to the pim standards
      see http://pim.kde.org/development/coding-korganizer.php

 2. you are missing class documentation (doxygen comments)
      see http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/howto.php

 3. it would be nice if we could bring some consistency to the command line interface
     between kabcclient and konsolekalendar.  Many of the command line args for
     konsolekalendar are there from several authors back and could use some updating.
     We should work together on that project.

 4. you have some nice ideas in the kabcclient that I wouldn't mind stealing for konsolekalendar.
     i like the CSV code (at a quick glance)

 5. I wonder if there might be some way to share code between kabcclient and konsolekalendar.
     Especially since we really need "konsoletodo" and a "konsolejournal"  tools as well.

 6. The --list option shows photo data which is ugly to look at.  do you want to print all the data?
     should there be different export formats (konsolekalendar has several).

Anyway, nice going.
-Allen
--
Let's Keep the Political Talk Out of KDE PLEASE