New shared pointer

Frerich Raabe raabe at kde.org
Fri Sep 9 23:59:20 BST 2005

On Friday 09 September 2005 20:52, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Frerich Raabe wrote:
> >the current shared pointer implementation in KShared/KSharedPtr is a
> > little too simplistic IMHO:
>
> I'm sorry Frerich, but what is your objective for this class? If you plan
> on simply using an automatic pointer, I think it should be renamed and
> not try to do any sharing at all.

I agree that if I'd plan on simply using an automatic pointer, the class
should be renamed and not try to do any sharing at all.

> If you plan on doing sharing, however, I *strongly* recommend you use
> QShared/QSharedData, even if internally, because it's thread-safe and
> atomic, whereas your implementation isn't, or, at least, QAtomic.

I'm not sure whether you saw that in my original mail, but
QSharedData/QSharedDataPointer has exactly the two annoying quirks which I
tried to remove. Regarding thread-safety: that's merely a matter of using
QAtomic instead of an int (and using the qSetPointerSafely function thing for
copying pointers), no? I'd say that's simple to incorporate.

- Frerich