Setting up a KDE Jabber Server

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Thu Sep 8 17:12:25 BST 2005

Le Jeudi 8 Septembre 2005 15:21, Christoph Cullmann a écrit :
> On Thursday 08 September 2005 15:15, Eva Brucherseifer wrote:
> > I also think, it's good for privacy reasons. jabber supports ssl, but of
> > course the server itself is a weak point.
> > I am all for it - jabber is my favourite protocol anyways.
>
> And on which server should this take place? Any KDE e.V. owned server with
> enough resources to handle this around?

Hosting a Jabber server doesn't really take so much ressources.
I've talked with the admin of jabber.apinc.org (which is the biggest french
server, 10000 registered user, and about 800 active)
and the server was running (alone) on a bi-p2 400 and in term of brandwith,
this is negligible.

I've already asked sysadmin at kde.org if they could host it  (but no answer yet)
If they can't, an user offered to host it.
And also the admin of jabber.apinc.org offered to eventually host it.

But it would be much better if it could be hosted in one of the kde machines.