Setting up a KDE Jabber Server

Eva Brucherseifer eva.brucherseifer at basyskom.de
Thu Sep 8 14:15:37 BST 2005

Am Dienstag, 30. August 2005 15:10 schrieb Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen:
> Tuesday 30 August 2005 14:50 skrev Martin Ellis:
> > On Tuesday 30 Aug 2005 13:19, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> > > jabber.org  server is not a good server for normal use.  It is very
> > > busy, somtimes down.  So it's not recommanded to use it, but everyone
> > > use it because it is, for now, a kind of delault.
> > >
> > > that's a point of a kde jabber server,  give kopete user a better
> > > default
> >
> > Kopete provides a whole list of public Jabber servers when you click
> > Register New Account.
> >
> > For nearly all users, their KDE locale settings are going to represent
> > the rough whereabouts in the world, so why not suggest a public server
> > local to the user by default?
> >
> > Certainly the UK one I'm using doesn't seem overloaded.
> >
> > Martin
>
>   And i can certainly vouch for the Danish one (jabber.dk) on which i use
> the MSN transport as well.
>   However, having a KDE server for those in a country where there is no
> local server, or a reasonable one would to me at least seem a really good
> idea. It would also be a way of showing your alegiance to the KDE project
> (virus marketing is our friend, as has so often been established, just look
> at Firefox). So i'm very much for letting users sign up and get a
> users.kde.org jabber address, in addition to the options already present :)
> And especially the suggestion from Martin here, for using the local servers
> primarily, but with the added extra of giving an easy option to select to
> use the kde.org address. Anyway, enough rambling about this from me, carry
> on ;)

I also think, it's good for privacy reasons. jabber supports ssl, but of
course the server itself is a weak point.
I am all for it - jabber is my favourite protocol anyways.

Greetings,
eva

--
Eva Brucherseifer
General Manager

basysKom GmbH
Robert-Bosch-Str. 7 | 64293 Darmstadt | Germany
Tel: +49 6151 3969-961 | Fax: -736 | Mobile: +49 170 5533642
eva.brucherseifer at basyskom.de | www.basyskom.de