New i18n interface for KDE 4

Tom Albers tomalbers at kde.nl
Wed Sep 7 20:39:28 BST 2005

Hi,

Op maandag 5 september 2005 15:41, schreef Chusslove Illich:
> On kde-i18n-doc there has been some discussion about how to provide more
> power to KDE translators, especially for translating into mid to highly
> inflected languages.
>
> For example, one of the problems is that sometimes an argument in a
> message, like "Open with %1", in some languages requires form (case)
> different than the basic one, so that it is in agreement with sentence
> structure. A very thorough demonstration of this kind of problem (as well
> as a lot of talk regarding how we can solve it with new interface) can be
> found in, what I believe to be quite infamous, thread on kde-i18n-doc:
> http://lists.kde.org/?t=112300742000007&r=1&w=2

A bit large to read through...

> The idea is to allow translators to somehow operate on arguments at
> runtime, what I refer to as "translation scripting".

Can you give some examples of how this will look like? How does it look like
from a developers point of view, do we need to do something different then
the i18n() calls we do now, other the making them capitals ;-)? And how does
this work in the po-files? Are we going to ask translators to script there
translations with if;then;else;fi constructions, or?

Tom Albers
http://www.kde.nl | http://www.digikam.org |irc: toma | toma at jabber.kovoks.nl