DBUS (Was: Malaga Discussions I)

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Sep 5 14:25:42 BST 2005

On Friday 02 September 2005 13:04, you wrote:

> > It's not that I'm all that happy with dcop -- especially dcop ref as a
> > generic, opaque reference stub that doesn't expose the interface of the
> > object it refs for is unpleasant. But I don't know whether dbus actually
> > is better in that area.
>
> If you can formulate what exactly you don't like about dcop, there is a
> possibility to fix it in dbus. At the moment dbus doesn't have anything
> like a dcopref. Not sure if I understand your concerns, but by feeding the
> dcopref in the dcop command line tool you get the interface back. It should
> be possible to do the same with dbus although dbus has a bit cleaner
> separation of the different interfaces supported by a single object.

I'll give it a try -- keep in mind that this is my first day of eating solids
that other people would recognize as edible food.

I know that it theoretically possible to get at the interface through dcopref,
but what I had expected was that the dcopclient -- whether command line tool
or kdcop (which doesn't support dcopref at all) -- would be presented with the
interface directly. I mean -- dcop obviously knows about that interface, so
it can reconstruct it on the other side and presented as an api, not a hook
by which you can get at the api.

--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi