sqlite in kde4

Rafał Rzepecki divided.mind at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 11:48:26 BST 2005

On Friday, 2 September 2005 14:55, Grzegorz Piotr Jaskiewicz wrote:
> I know this topic was already discussed for kde3/qt3. We have now chance to
> bring sqlite3 to kde as base. I would suggest that we require sqlite3
> support in qt4. What do you guys think?
> In case there will be sqlite4, I hope trolls will keep up, and add it to
> future releases of qt4 too.

I second that. Also, I guess it should default on plugin using system lib
(with fallback to the supplied one). This way replacing in any case (ie.
security problem) would be extremely easy.

The whole argument about not supporting online databases is moot, as it
wouldn't bar anyone from using one; au contraire, it could help prototyping
(as an application developer could develop using sqlite and then just switch
backends).

The problem is that every now and then an app needs a local database and
everytime people reinvent the wheel in this respect, as they cannot be sure
that any database engine is already installed and available. The effect of
this is that we have some fifty copies of sleepycat and thirty some of sqlite
in repository right now, used with different, sometimes completely custom
wrappers or even directly; in some cases people end up writing they own
database-like code, as it's easier than importing a foreign tree.

I don't have to say what a mainteinance and security nightmare this is. Not to
mention extra memory usage for every single engine in runtime.
--
Rafał Rzepecki