[file dialogs] Re: Redefining kdelibs and kdebase

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at babylon2k.de
Sat Sep 3 10:40:17 BST 2005

On Saturday 03 September 2005 00:42, Martin Konold wrote:
> > our special IO slave url's won't work any longer. Kate would be crippled
> > while using gnome, and how to detect that in the app? Should I inform the
> > user: oh, you use gnome, sorry, nothing works? Or should I open the
> > kfiledialog if I need url's gnome doesn't support?
>
> IMHO the solution is to use RuDI. Basically it allows you to specify which
> features you need and then the RuDI service provider tells you if it is
> available. In addition it allows you to customize the requested dialog. The
> later is especially required for printing as often the print dialog needs
> application specific extensions.
I support this RuDi thingy for foreign apps wanting to use our framework (+
being able to use gnome etc.) but not that native KDE apps have to use such
stuff. RuDi is thought to be bridge for ISV's and co to be able to use
KDE/GNOME stuff transparently without linking and to provide a stable API and
so on, but not to be used inside the KDE software stack, or?

cu
Christoph