Removing icons from KDE 4 Menus

Jesse Yurkovich jesse at omega.cs.iit.edu
Fri Sep 2 19:21:21 BST 2005

Quoting Michael Pyne <pynm0001 at comcast.net>:
> On Friday 02 September 2005 12:37, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > Well, as the document about the new KDE4 icons seems to want to *remove*
> > the icons from the menus in KDE4, I am not sure about to enable by default
> > the icons on buttons in KDE 3.5, as long as this is not clear.
>
> I would be incredibly disappointed if this were to come to pass.  I mean, I
> don't mind if it's an option, or even if it's the default, or even if you
> have to edit a file to get it back.
>
> But why would they just up and remove all the icons?  I've noticed that Ken
> has stated that we won't have enough icons, and that they are hard to make,
> but I'm not really buying that because that's not the point.
>
> We already have decent small icons for many of the actions, so we've already
> paid that cost.  In addition, it's not like we need icons for each and every
> single menu item, because they would be worse than useless (such as
> applications that have 5 Configure entries next to 5 Configure icons...).
> However, limited usage of the icons can make it possible to quickly
> distinguish one action from another.  Such as Delete/Move to Trash, or
> Open/Save.
>
> Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater people. :)
>
> And thanks for pointing it out, Nicolas.

Indeed.  Just yesterday I had to help debug a problem on a German install of KDE.  Do you think I
know German?  Nope, but I knew the relative placement of some menu items and I was able to 'see'
the icons which reminded me what I needed to do exactly.  This helped me greatly.  Besides that, I
wouldn't like to see this removed either.