kedulaunch --> KDE Application Launcher (or "Berlin Migration")

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Thu Sep 1 02:07:39 BST 2005

Hi,

you may have seen last night's commit of the nxfish:/ extension to
our beloved fish:// KIO slave:

   http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-commits&m=112535566514080&w=2

Today we made a new discovery that will be extremely beneficial to
the future KDE and NX/FreeNX cooperation and integration: it is
called

   kedulauncher

If we insert this as the command into a "Unix --> Custom"-type of
remote NX session configuration, it definitely will make a great
remote NX application launcher (even though it was probably made
by the author with only running local applications in mind).

The only gripe we have with kedulaunch currently, is that it so far
is limited to launching "KDE Edu applications only" in a hard-coded way.

Our wish would be to have this thingie extended, and made more
flexible/configurable to launch *any* application, and also subject to
"Kiosk-ization".

Such a nice-looking and well-designed application launcher (based on
the kedulaunch code, but more generic) would make a well-received and
perfect component to the current Linux and KDE desktop migration
efforts of various Berlin local city administration bodies -- this we
were told today first-hand by one of the activists and key influencers
in the Berlin local government IT.

Is there anyone who would like to take up that fun job?

Cheers,
Kurt + Fabian (FreeNX Developer representativs at aKademy)