RuDI was: Redefining kdelibs and kdebase

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Thu Sep 1 01:01:09 BST 2005

Am Mittwoch 31 August 2005 13:39 schrieb Jarosław Staniek:

Hi,

> 1. A bit harder case: a KDE app running under GNOME needs to perform a
> *dynamic* switch to non-KDE file (and print?) dialog. What about trying to
> dlopen a gnome library for this (it's in C, so it's pretty safe).

Today we had a RuDI BoF at aKademy.

http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/1398

I will summarize the results of the BoF here briefly.

+ A service oriented approach gained support from people like Matthias Ettrich
and Lubos Lunak.

+ Matthias can imagine to help with the QRuDI implementation

+ It is considered to be a big plus for non KDE application which want to
integrate in the KDE Desktop

+ RuDI is also attractive for GNOME and has potential to become a fdo standard

+ Cornelius raised the point that maybe allowing access to the configuration
system of the desktop is interesting but he also raises potential efficiency
concerns

+ It would be nice to provide RuDI initially for 3rd party KDE apps, Qt apps
and Java applications

Yours,
-- martin

--