RFC: Avoiding #warning (C/C++ preprocessor extension)

Michael Pyne michael.pyne at kdemail.net
Mon Oct 31 22:09:27 GMT 2005

On Monday 31 October 2005 16:34, Frans Englich wrote:
> > No, please, no "-Werror" !!! GCC keeps modifying its warnings and
> > therefore -Werror is unsuitable for portable code.
> >
> > Linux has problems with each new GCC compiler version, because a few
> > developers forces the use of -Werrror. We do not need to repeat the same
> > error, especially that KDE is *not* supposed to compile with gcc only.
> > (So what's good to add a gcc-isms to keep the compiler calm, just not to
> > be able to compile the code anymore on non-gcc compiler.)
>
> The world is way too complex, someone should rewrite it. I who thought it
> was even worth a try to clean up kdelibs and freeze it with -Werror :(

If it helps, there was a package I tried to install some time ago that refused
to install until I hacked the Makefiles to remove -Werror.  The coders hadn't
anticipated the new warnings added with gcc 4.

Since the gcc devs will only keep adding warnings (and why not ;), I would say
that no release tarball should contain -Werror.  It may be useful during
development but it would be unnecessarily painful for release.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne