image viewers: a different approach

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Oct 29 18:48:31 BST 2005

Michael Olbrich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been following the discussion on KView and I think we need to
> take a step back. Focusing on individual applications will only result
> in chaos.
> The first step would be to look at the different tasks we want to
> accomplish. For me there are 4:
>
> 1. basic viewer. For links on webpages, emails and individual local
> images.
> Features: fast, incremental loading, zoom. Maybe scrolling by dragging.
> This is probably somewhere between khtmlimage and KView.

Yes, that is what I had in mind, a KView-Lite.  Something with all the
features needed to view images and nothing more.  The only issue I leave
as an open question is whether "step through image" should be part of
it.  The consensus appeared to be that it should have this feature, but
it is a very small sample. :-)

> 2. Enhanced viewer. For image folders (photos). Basic manipulation.
> Features: previews, step through images, rotate (and save), exif
> manipulation.
> Most of the current viewers fit more or less in this category.

Yes, we plan to have GwenView for this.

--
JRT