New i18n interface for KDE 4, second try

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Sun Oct 30 20:12:49 GMT 2005

>> [: Chusslove Illich :]
>> Performance is really not an issue here, as we're talking about GUI
>> stuff.
>
> [: Nicolas Goutte :]
> Well, we have complex dialogs too for example. They should avoid to need
> seconds more to load on a not-so-fast computer.

Responding strictly to this claim of mine, you are right :) However, I
meant when things are put in the perspective of i18n calls being just a
fraction of rest of the GUI buildup.

Complex dialog, with say, 100 messages? If you recall those performance
figures I produced, assuming all those 100 messages are heavily scripted
through Guile (needless to say, totaly crazy posture), on my 1.67 GHz
machine they would all be delivered in less than 2 hundreths of a second.

> Keeping the interface simple means that you can have less surprises.
> Let QString do what it can do well and put in the special class only
> what is needed for a correct translation.

I don't quite understand what posibillity you refer to here, but I do try
to keep things as simple as possible. Providing that it works, and aside
from that missed call names problem, what particulary is complex about
this template solution, from the point of usage?

On the other hand, I think the undefined behaviour of arg() methods and
need to keep an eye when multiple arg() should be used, shows that current
QString solution already has some nasty surprises set up.

> Especially that I suppose that numbers do not need really a special
> handling for scripting.

The numbers themselves might not require changing, but something based on
them might. For example, those extra plural forms that we were talking
about. Meaning that numbers as well must be supplied for scripting. And
anyway, making some arguments available and some not, would just create
inconsistency and confusion.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)