New i18n interface for KDE 4, second try

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Sun Oct 30 17:20:08 GMT 2005

>> [: Chusslove Illich :]
>> QString("%1 %1").arg("foo").arg("bar")
>>
>> results in "foo bar", while
>
> [: Nicolas Goutte :]>
> Ooh, I have not know this trap!

It is undefined behaviour as per Qt 3.3 docs, and no mention in Qt 4.0
docs. But rest assured, it is being used with precisely this intention;
check message containing "Welcome to Kontact" in
kdepim/kontact/src/mainwindow.cpp of branch 3.5. And someone also wanted
it the other (proper?) way around, so he had to use a workaround, check in
kmail/kmstartup.cpp message with comment containing "only replaces the
first occurrence" appended.

This template solution would get rid of such problems. And again,
programmers wouldn't have to remember to use multiple arg() instead of two
single arg() methods in situations which require that for safety.

So I wonder, is this enough to outweight the problem of mixing call names
(taking into account these can be discovered by code-checking scripts)?

> [: Nicolas Goutte :]
> [qarg()] is pretty much useless. If we go so far away from QString, we
> can directly use QString::number, which is static. (That would be
> better than to have QString-like arg functions but that do not work
> like QString::arg functions.)

I did mean that qarg() would behave same as corresponding arg() (ie. one
qarg() for every formatting arg() method). But, as I said, this is
completely orthogonal feature, shouldn't have even mentioned it at this
point :)

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)