image viewers: a different approach

Benjamin Meyer ben at meyerhome.net
Fri Oct 28 11:08:03 BST 2005

On Thursday 27 October 2005 4:24 pm, Lubos Lunak wrote:

> > > I don't really see a difference between #2 and #3.  #2 really seems to
> > > be a relic of 1998 where everyone was writing there own
> > > photoViewer2000++ and cramming as many things into it as possible, but
> > > being crap compared to photoshop.  Enhanced viewers are both crappy
> > > editor and crappy organizers because of how they define themselves.
> > > Much more usefull as shown by countless companies producing
> > > applications such as iPhoto are image organization applications with
> > > basic manipulation.
> > >
> > > Really there should be three, not four
> > >
> > > 1) Image viewer component that any application can use
>
>  I have to admit I have a little trouble coming up with an application
> that'd benefit from this and wouldn't be called Konqueror, but maybe that's
> just me. And not that it really matters anyway, Konqueror is good enough a
> reason anyway.

Just to kill this portion of the thread here are a few apps off the top of my
head that want an embeded viewer for images:

KMail, viewing images
Konquror: file manager
Konquror: web browser
Application that use the web browser componant such as aKragator (ok, maybe
this doesn't count)
ksirc, aim, etc inline transferring of photos
desktop background (rotate through a folder of images)
countless screensavers
Many custom applications that let you attach images to something else mostly
database related such as a dentist office that wants to put your xray images
in the costomers digital file, or a "diary application", or support
application that need to attach files customers send or...
Media Players that want to display album art
Games that let you incorporate your art into it such as kjezzball
Putting an image into your kword document
Encryption utilities that let you preview the image that you are embedding
info into or encrypting.

Ok, some of those aren't the best, but this is just with 30 seconds coming up
with ideas as fast as I could.  You can probably come up with many more.

-Benjamin Meyer

--
aka icefox
Public Key: http://www.icefox.net/public_key.asc