[RFC] Possible KView Maintainership

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Tue Oct 25 07:44:16 BST 2005

On Monday 24 October 2005 18:06, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
> > On Sunday 23 October 2005 00:14, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> >>Yes, I know that there is a freeze on KDE-3.5 till version 3.5.0 is
> >>released.  Therefore, I was going to work on 3.4 first.
> >
> > Doesn't make sense. 3.4 is even more frozen than 3.5 - it's so frozen
> > that it's dead :) There won't be more releases of KDE-3.4.x, so it makes
> > no sense to work on kview there. Do bugfixing in 3.5 branch, and new
> > developments in trunk.
>
> In the general case, what you say is true.  However, as NG correctly
> points out, fixing the UI issues (bugs) will require modification to the
> documentation and there is currently a pre-release freeze on
> documentation.

No, the documentation freeze is not for pre-release. It will last for the
complete KDE 3.5 branch (as it is for all preceding branches, including KDE
3.4.)

>  Since KView has not been maintained, the code in 3.4
> BRANCH and 3.5 BRANCH is identical.  And, there is NO KDE-3 TRUNK
> anymore, and no new development except feature adjustments is
> contemplated.  As soon as KDE-3.5.0 is released, bug fixes would be
> moved to the 3.5 BRANCH.

Then please, if (for a reason that I quite do not understand), you do not want
to fix bugs now in KDE 3.5, then you should better make a copy of
branches/KDE/3.5/kdegraphics (or parts of it) to a new directory in
branches/work and work there. Only when the changes will be in the KDE 3.5
branch, then you can think about backporting them to KDE 3.4, if you find it
useful.

Have a nice day!