D pointers #2

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Oct 19 13:06:22 BST 2005

 Hello,

 it seems the discussion has died without any result as usually, so let's see
if there can be at least some result this time. Attached is a patch to the
binary compatibility document with some changes and additions that I've found
useful (replace the php header and footer with "<html><body>" resp.
"</body></html>" for viewing it directly).

 Ok to commit the changes, could somebody please review it? I explicitly
mentioned "fixing" some binary compatibility problems in small classes by
writing new replacement classes, and added three new tricks for virtual
functions. I eventually decided not to mention virtual_hook, it seems using
signals/slots for that is simpler to use, at the expense of the additional
overhead in the ctor, so it may make sense to drop virtual_hook for KDE4.

 Also, I added a section called "You should". That's the part with the most
XXX's. Is it possible we actually reach some agreement on the usage of
d-pointers or are we just going to leave it like it is now?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org